Downtown Spokane is seeking applications from nonprofit organizations or groups for grant funding to support events that honor the history and traditions of our city’s diverse communities, amplifying and celebrating in the exchange of culture.
The Downtown Spokane Partnership (DSP) announces a call for community organizations to apply for up to $5,000 to foster new events in the downtown area. $25,000 is available to support groups who are establishing new, or enhancing existing, events in the central business district. If you are organizing an event downtown or want to move your event downtown, consider applying for the Cultural Event Grant.
Applications, facilitated by Spokane Arts, will be open from May 30 through June 25, 2021. Funds will be awarded based on a competitive independent committee review and awards will be announced the week of July 12. Grants are funded by the Downtown Spokane Parking and Business Improvement District (BID); which self-assesses businesses in the downtown area in order to fund supplemental city services that enhance the safety, cleanliness, and vibrancy of downtown.
Grant awards are intended to provide a stimulus for groups who have previously, or may now be considering, holding a festival or event in downtown, but hesitated due to monetary or logistical barriers. Examples of possible events include arts, dance and music expositions, heritage festivals, the observation of holidays, lecture-demonstrations and workshops with a cultural focus, collaborative exchange and more.
DSP staff will be available to assist community organizations in other areas of planning that may be needed for the start-up enterprises.
- Organizations that are 501(c)(3) public charities, government entities (including schools), and LLCs are eligible for event grants.
- Event should take place between August 1, 2021 and July 31, 2022.
- Strong preference will be given to new or emerging events.
- Strong preference will be given to events that promote the exchange of cultural experience and diversity.
- As our mission is to promote the vibrancy and economic vitality of downtown Spokane, events should happen within the footprint of the BID.